Friday, January 18, 2008

I have carefully considered my opportunities, and now you must make a choice

By Murphy Kramer
Punters win championships


Coach Murphy Kramer is the head football coach at Plano Horizons High School in Plano, Ohio. His Fighting Broncos have a 16-68 mark in his nine seasons at the helm, including a 1-8 mark last season.

To my colleagues at Plano Horizons:

For nine years, I have breathed, sweat, and cried Bronco football for this fine institution of secondary learning. For nine Fridays as the leaves on the oak tree in the school's back lawn turned a bouquet of pastel colors, my charges have played with heart, determination and good-naturedness. It has truly been a pleasure.

I write to you because I want you to know that I have been offered a coaching position at nearby Laughlin Prep. As you may or may not know, Laughlin has had winning seasons in each of the last seven years, with five trips to the state quarterfinals and one special run to the Class AAA state title. The Bulldogs are good, with fine facilities, fervent community support and admirable student-athletes.

The position is interesting, but I want it to be clear that I love being at Plano Horizons. I'm taking a big cue from a person I admire here, Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, and many other coaches who have had amazing new opportunities presented to them, only to stay where their heart lies. Even though my current position is somewhat smaller in stature than the one offered at Laughlin, the memories I have made here supersede any new opportunity.

I remember the time little Richie Watkins caught two touchdowns in one game, part of a tremendous season that led to a walk-on opportunity at a Division II college. I remember one year when we lost in the final two minutes, and narrowly missed a chance to finish with a .500 record. I remember that one year when we finally won our Homecoming game, a 3-0 defensive war. These memories have no price tag.

However, if you should feel so inclined to offer an increased salary package to retain my services at Plano Horizons, I would be deeply humbled and gratified by that opportunity. Please do not see this as me using my other job opportunity for leverage. Money is no object, compared to being the proud coach of Broncos football, but I would accept any salary advancements with open arms.

If the budget is tight this year, and additional financial offerings are unavailable, then naturally, I understand. Please know that I have loved my time here, and will always have a place for Plano in my heart. I look forward to my new opportunities with Laughlin, and will be grateful for the start I was given at Plano Horizons.

Sincerely,
Murphy Kramer (but you can call me Old Murph)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home