Sunday, April 30, 2006

Houston: The city of goodwill


By Lynn DeBerg
Housewife


Though I'm not going to cry like that flaking makeup flake Paula Abdul, I sit here moved at the charity I've seen today in the National Football League. A lot has gone on in the past year in the ravaged city of New Orleans, due to the horrible aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I have to say, my eyes did well with tears as I watched the people flee from their city nearly a year ago, many to Houston in nearby Texas.

It wasn't easy for the Astrodome Capital of the World to bear these domestic immigrants, to integrate thousands of new people into their workforce and residencies. And yet, you never heard the mayor of Houston complaining, or the people demanding that these New Orleanseans go somewhere else. And now, you see Houston reaching out to New Orleans once again.

I just think it's so nice.

Rather than taking that freak of nature Reggie Bush, possibly the most exciting college football player in more than a decade, Houston owner Bob McNair elected to pass, instead taking North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams with the first pick of the NFL Draft. Pundits howled that McNair was throwing up smokescreens when he said he might not choose Bush out of Southern Cal, and everyone just assumed Bush would be first and New Orleans could settle for sloppy seconds.

But McNair is a true humanitarian. When news of the flood broke, we searched our house high and low for ways to help, and we donated several bags of Chee-tos, dog food and Slim Fast milk shakes. I even forced my son Timothy to donate some CDs. This guy, though, makes me look like I barely tried.

He offered to take something less while New Orleans was permitted to collect the boost it needed. Bush will give hope to the thousand of displaced citizens, re-energize a city and bring the sports spotlight to the Superdome. Houston, meanwhile, will continue to have arid weather and oil derricks while David Carr and his beautiful face continue to get sliced and diced.

It warms your heart, really.

McNair obviously knew that highly drafted running backs have the highest success rate among positions, and defensive ends have the worst success rate. He knew that while Williams will have a great career, he'll always be seen as the "dude they chose over Reggie Bush." Clearly, the scenes of flood, Kanye West infomercials, FEMA whoopsies and slew of aid from all corners of the globe has impacted McNair.

I love older men with a conscience. Come to think of it, I also love men with smooth skin and diamond stud earrings like Reggie. And that organized crime family he has certainly adds an element of intrigue. Is he single? Just curious.

Chris Berman reminds me of my first boss when I was secretary at a law firm ... the one who tried to hit on me while his breath reeked of beer and muenster cheese.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home