Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Oh wow, women's basketball is really awesome

By David Harrison
Sports Fan


Man, did you all watch that Tennessee-Stanford women's basketball championship last night? It was sooo awesome. I love watching basketball players cut backdoor and to sometimes make layups and also fall down a lot.

Nothing gets me more excited than a team winning the championship game with a blistering .393 field goal percentage. That just glues me to my fuckin' couch. Cancel my plans for tonight. Women's basketball is on, and I've got set-shots from 12 feet to watch.

Brick.

Really though. I'm being too harsh here. Because Candace Parker is probably the Leonardo Di Vinci or Sidney Crosby of women’s basketball. A star like her –- the Tiger Woods and the Barry Bonds of her sport -– can really bring the masses to this incredible, enthralling game. Did you know that she’s dunked the basketball before? You can even find footage online, I’m pretty sure. But unlike footage of Bigfoot, it’s actually real! And you know what, even her dunks are fundamentally sound! If John Wooden liked dunks, he'd like Candace Parker's.

At first, I admit I was skeptical about this women's basketball thing, and didn’t even watch the constant coverage on ESPN or ESPN.com. I didn’t pay attention to all the casual discussion, featuring the long-legged Stacey Dales and some other people. I kept my fandom focused on the men’s tournament. But that was before Stanford’s Angela Wiggins made a believer out of me.

Remember when Diana Taurasi played for UCONN? She was a dude, right? Her face was so aerodynamic.

You know what? I don’t even care that these women aren’t hot. That’s chauvinist thinking, anyway. These women are athletes and put as much blood, sweat and tears into their sport as anyone else. I can’t imagine why people don’t appreciate that. WOW, I just saw highlights of one women’s basketball player FLYING through the lane. Oh, wait ... nope, they switched to NBA highlights when I wasn’t looking. My bad.

Even still, women's basketball. Wow. I can't wait to see what these players do at the next level.

With the NCAA season over, I'll need something to give me my fix until the glorious sounds of missed free throws and torn ACLs return to gyms next fall. You can bet I'll be spending my time playing this:



All hail the splendor of women's basketball!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home